Welcome to our free resources page. Click on the link below to access our manual!
A Cultural Awareness Manual:
What Every Teacher Should Know About Traditional Characteristics Associated with African-American Culture
Aimed at teachers, practitioners, and administrators, A Cultural Awareness Manual sheds light on traditional African-American cultural values. Educational initiatives speak to the need to create instructional models that integrate the values of culturally diverse students. A common barrier among many teachers, as it pertains to creating culturally relevant models, is this: Most are unfamiliar with the cultural values of students of color in particular, and the cultural values of African-American students in particular.
This manual will
- increase your knowledge surrounding African-American culture;
- enhance your knowledge of why many culturally diverse students may be referred for special education services;
- enhance your ability to train staff members surrounding issues related to cultural awareness;
- improve your ability to work with students and parents of color;
- boost your ability to integrate instruction and cultural characteristics that have been associated with African-American culture;
- increase your knowledge of how to work interdependently with community leaders, including African-American clergy—and more!
A Cultural Awareness Manual is a supplemental guide to Dwayne D. Williams’ book, An RtI Guide to Improving Performance of African-American students: What Every Teacher Should Know About Culture and Academic Engagement